Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

TPH #064 Hatyara Dasyu Dal



(top) First day page from phantom daily strip #074 "The Swamp Rats". Indrajal version of this story is being presented in this post.
I came to realise today that mediafire has disabled (to peek into) the number of download feature from its free account. Now to check how many downloads took place for any file, one has to grab a pro account ticket. That means spending a few bucks on a regular basis. Sorry, I am not interested in that at the moment.

But I am sad. Since a very few downloaders actually pay the courtesy to acknowledge the download through comment, now I am left with no option to judge the success of a particular post (or comic). It used to be a nice way to assess the popularity of a comic post by noting the number of downloads, and to take inspiration from that. That also suggests the trends in the readers taste, which eventually directs the blogger in the right direction. Sadly, it had to go.

Anyway...



I did something different on personal front this time. (obviously I am still talking about the comics, in case you want to start the guesswork) I took some printouts of the Phantom Sunday #136 (which I am coloring now a days). Normal Inkjet printer was used and, to my pleasant surprise, the results were outstanding. Take a look at the pics. Is it too costly? Nah, the refill job will make it highly cost-effective. I am ready with my color bottles. If you are suspicious about the quality of the refilled ink, let me say I have taken these using refilled only. Much satisfactory.






Finally, a comic post. A classic phantom story from 15 August, 1976 issue of Indrajal Comics and Originally a daily strip from 1959. English version was posted by TCP long ago. I am presenting the Hindi version. Had already posted it yesterday on My Hindi Indrajal Blog too.

Enjoy friends.




(32 pages, 1200 px wide, 9.95 MB)
.

Also I am planning to undertake a very ambitious project. Will disclose soon.

15 comments:

  1. Hello Dear ,
    Can u tell me how much total cost came for S-136 .
    Indeed a vey nice effort .Keep it up .

    Ajay

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous: Welcome.

    @ Ajay: I haven't printed all pages as some of them still remain to be coloured.

    My estimate is that with refilled ink, the cost of printing one coloured page is 50 paise for ink, 15 pise for sheet, so total 65 paise. for 65 page story the cost should be around Rs 45.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PRIY MITR , NAMASKAR

    MAIN BAHUT DINO SE AAPKE COMIC BLOG PAR AA RAHA HOON AUR AAPKE POSTS PADHTE RAHTA HOON ..

    PICHLE DINO MAINE BHI EK COMIC BLOG BANAYA HAI. [ http://comicsofindia.blogspot.com ] AAPSE NIVEDAN HAI KI MERE BLOG PAR TASHREEF LAAYE AUR MERA HAUSLA BADAYE.....

    DHANYAWAAD AUR NAMSKAR

    VIJAY
    http://comicsofindia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goood effort TPH,if the cost is mere 65 paise per sheet then its far far better than Sameer efforts,who is selling these Phantom strips at a rate of Rs.1 per page and in B/W,whereas yours are in color.
    I will surely opt the color ones at only 65 paisa per page.
    Jatin

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jatin: My estimate is for small printing work only, i.e., if you go for only a few strips. For bulk printing there are some additional costs, such as cost of cartridge etc. Also it has its share of risks included.

    And please know that I am not offering the prints for public. This is strictly personal. But I will share my experience of printing the comics in colour. Specially those whose colour prints are not available for indian readers like us.

    I'll make a detailed post once I have completed all 65 pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi TPH,
    Just happened to get a quick peek into ur blog after a long time in between a busy life. You are doing an excellent job in colouring... comics are not just enjoying reading them..... keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Comicrazee: Thanks dear. Truly said, there are more ways to enjoy comics. And it's always encouraging to hear good words from the master himself. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Vijay: Very good news Vijay Bhai. I have already visited your new blog and left my comments on a few posts. Your drawing are just as superb as your poetry. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In any case,according the data given by you,the printing of B/W page should be atleast half the cost of color printing.Hence at most the cost of B/W page would be costing around 50 paise,whereas sameer is selling these Phantom strips @ Rs.1/page
    ,means he is making at least 100% profit.Good business mind.
    Jatin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting to read about your experiment. The printouts look really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color prints does look good enough to be compared with industry standards, TPH.

    Wonder, if I would ever venture out to this costly affair and see our favorite classic strips in full color editions created for myself :) Me and my dreams ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. TPH,

    Just been to your hindi blog which was awesome to say the least.

    the colouring project looks nice.

    all the best for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi TPh, nice effort! btw, the cost you have calculated is ok for inkjet but paper is not 15 paise, it costs around .35 paise for good paper. secondly, inkjet is not water proof and has very less life, so try laser printer.

    btw, an anonymous "jatin" has said i am selling at rs 1/- where 100% profit is there, let me be clear to all : basic cost of paper is 25 paise, printing on laser is 45, cover is in color and on coated paper, title and date additional printing, binding cost, etc which comes to .89 paise so it is 10% and not 100%.....it is a effort to reach out phantom fans and not make "business minded" profits.

    hope i am clear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Sameer: The sheet of paper I have used is of sufficiently good quality. But It is the one which is generally used for normal day to day printing. A single sheet costs me 30 paise, but considering the double sided printing for comic book, I have calculated half the amount for a single page.

    I have also mentioned that the estimate is only for small printing job. Cost of cartridge comes into the picture if size of project increases. Binding cost is not taken care of as it is optional. For a single comic stapler pins will do the job well. For a good hard binding, I assume at least 10 strips are taken together, so it won't affect the total cost much.

    ReplyDelete